Sometimes is the simplest things you miss. A nice hot pasty on a cold day is a real homeless treat and you don't need to be all chefy to make them!
225g Gluten Free Multi purpose White flour
110g butter (soft)
1 medium beaten egg
1 tbsp cold water
beaten egg for brushing
1 medium potato, peeled and cut into ½ cm cubes
1 medium carrot, washed and cut into ½ cm cubes
1 onion peeled and finely chopped
Swede, peeled and cut into ½ cubes
250g lean braising steak, cut into ½ cm cubes
salt and pepper to season
A beaten egg for brushing
A little extra GF flour for rolling out pastry
1. Place half the measured mix in a medium size mixing bowl with the other pastry ingredients.
2. Mix to a smooth paste using a fork. Add remaining mix and work together first using a fork and then by hand to bring together into a ball.
3. Knead on a work surface lightly dusted with a little more GF flour until completely smooth. Cling film and chill the pastry for 20 minutes. Knead again before rolling. Divide pastry into 6 equal pieces.
1. Preheat the oven 180C/160CFan / Gas Mark 4.
2. Dust the surface with GF flour and roll each piece into a circle approximately 14/15cm.
3. Divide the ingredients into 6, arrange the potato and swede along the centre of a pastry circle, season and top with the steak and carrot and onion, season again.
4. Lightly brush the outside edge of the pastry with egg then carefully bring up the edges to the centre to cover the filling.
5. Pinch or crimp between the forefinger and thumb of one hand and forefinger of the other to create a sealed crest over the top of the pastry. Repeat with the other pastry circles, place on a baking sheet.
6. Brush the pasties with beaten egg and cook for 1 hour reducing the heat to 160C/140C Fan / Gas Mark 3 after 40 minutes.