Gołąbki (GF) - Polish cabbage rolls recipe
(Specially requested by Wendy Keniwell)
For the Stuffing:-
200g (7oz) cooked long grain rice
2 large onions
1.2kg (2lb 12oz) of minced beef, veal or pork mince
1 whole white cabbage
1 tablespoon of butter
For the tomato sauce:-
2 tablespoons concentrated tomato paste
200 ml (7 oz) single cream
1 vegetable stock (GF) cube
2 tablespoons plain (all-purpose or Gluten Free) flour
(1) Cook the rice according to the instructions on the packet and drain. Chop the onions finely and fry them in a little butter until softened. Mix the mince, onions and rice together and add a little salt and pepper.
(2) Soften the cabbage leaves by boiling the whole cabbage in a large saucepan of water for 5-10 minutes, turning occasionally. Drain and carefully peel off the cabbage leaves, keeping them whole. Use a sharp knife to cut out the larger white central veins.
(3) Place about a tablespoon of the mince and rice mixture on each cabbage leaf, then wrap the leaf around a couple of times to make a little parcel. Keep a few leaves back to line the saucepan.
(4) Put a tablespoon of olive oil and about 1cm (½ in) of water in a large saucepan. Line the pan with 2 or 3 cabbage leaves, then add the wrapped parcels. Add the butter and cover with another layer of cabbage leaves.
(5) Pour in 200ml (half a pint) of cold water then cover and bring to the boil, then lower the heat so it gently simmers for 1½ hours
(6) Remove the cooked rolls and pour off 500ml (17 fl oz) of the liquid from into a small saucepan to make the sauce. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste and cream and heat together gently, mashing the tomatoes with a fork so they break down. Mix the flour with a little water into a smooth paste and add to thicken the sauce. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper or sprinkle in a stock cube to taste.
(7) To serve, place 2 or 3 gołabki on each plate then pour over the tomato sauce at the table.