Juicy fillet steak with an indulgent blue cheese butter and crispy bubble and squeak fritters. The perfect treat for New Years Eve in together.
2 x 250g (9oz) fillet steaks
green salad to serve
For the blue cheese butter
50g (2oz) butter, softened
30g Cornish Blue or Stilton cheese, crumbled
1tbsp snipped fresh chives
For the bubble and squeak cakes
1 large Maris Piper or Desiree potato, peeled and chopped
25g (1oz) butter
75g (3oz) pancetta cubetti or bacon, chopped
1/4 Savoy cabbage, shredded
dash olive oil
(1) To make the blue cheese butter, put the softened butter, Cornish Blue, chives and pepper into a bowl and mash together. Place on clingfilm, roll into a sausage shape and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
(2) Meanwhile, make the bubble and squeak cakes: boil the chopped potato in boiling salted water until tender, drain, add the butter and seasoning and mash until smooth. Leave to cool slightly.
(3) Meanwhile, fry the pancetta until golden, remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper. Add the shredded cabbage to the pan with a splash of water and saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Leave to cool slightly, then mix the pancetta and cabbage with the mashed potato. Shape into 4 cakes and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes.
(4) Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, add the cakes and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden. Place on a baking sheet in a low oven and keep warm until ready to serve.
(5) Rub the steaks with olive oil and season well. Heat a frying pan until smoking hot and pan fry for 4 minutes on each side for medium rare. Set aside and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
(6) To serve, place the bubble and squeak cakes on plates and top with the fillet steaks. Slice the blue cheese butter into discs, place 3 discs on top of each steak and blow torch, or just pop under a preheated grill to melt the butter. Serve with a large green salad.